Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The First Post

Hello there!

Welcome to my second quilting blog! This blog runs parallel with my other quilting blog, QuiltsByFee (http://quiltsbyfee.blogspot.com), but I figure that because this will be a big project, it's special enough for it's own blog. =)

I've commited myself to making the "Dear Jane" quilt. I'm going to make it for my mum's 50th birthday, which is in 5 years time. I should finish it with plenty of time to quilt it, if I stay focused. I'm going to hand quilt and piece it, because that will allow me to have some portability to take it with me to university and some secrecy so mum won't find out. Hopefully, I want to suprise her.

For those who don't know: Jane A. Stickle, during the Civil War in 1863, made a sampler quilt with 225 different patterns. Brenda Papadakis wrote a book about the quilt, and a cult following ensued. Thousands of "Baby Janes", copies of 'The Quilt' (which is located in the Bennington Museum, Vermont), have been made since the book's release in 1996. For more information and to see Jane's Quilt, visit http://www.dearjane.com

This blog will document my progress and keep me on track. For those of you who see this, and know mum, please don't tell her! To all others, I hope you enjoy watching me take this journey.

4 comments:

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

NIce Blocks Fee. Your mom is very lucky and the colors will be beautiful! I have just restarted a Jane in pinks and yellows and green and blue and purples with a muslin backround. My first start was in repor fabrics and I lost interest! Good idea to make your own Jane blog!!
Good Luck!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Fee,
What a lucky Mum! You can certainly do this in five years. I look forward to watching your progress.And the fabric choices are wonderful!!
hugs,
brenda

Anonymous said...

Your mom must be someone very special to you. Lucky you and lucky her! Keep on the digest if you can - that will help encourage you along. Find other DJers in your area - moral support always helps, and quilters are quilters - at 20, 50 or 80!

Lez, Edmonton, Canada

Anonymous said...

Fee:
Beautiful colors, nice blocks, and an interesting blog. Your mum will be so pleased to receive your gift, no matter how long it takes to finish it.
Enjoy the experience.
Celeste in Pennsylvania